Image Map

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

SAHM mom here. Thankful for this time at home

Its not the most glamorous but its the best dang job I've ever had. Most days I spend quite a bit of time cleaning, cooking, picking up, shopping, running errands and even resting and right now it’s the perfect “job”.
    My top 5 things I love about being a SAHM
#1: I don’t have to ask someone how my child's day went. H1 goes to preschool which I am SO thankful for because his energy level is hard to keep up with, but he can tell me how his day went. I’m thankful I don’t have to wonder “Why is she grumpy today?” or “Did he really nap for 2 hours?” or “Where did that bump come from?”
#2: When my kiddo picks up a cold or illness I get to nurse her back to health in the comfort of our home and there is no question of school today or do I need to call work?
#3: I enjoy getting things done while H2 is napping and having that “me” time, again only possible because H1 is in school some days.
#4 I drink my coffee in a regular mug. No travel mug (most days) for this mama
#5 The pace of life is slower. I am so thankful I don’t need to rush from here to there and there to here and back again every day.

When Jay was in grad school, we were living in Pittsburgh and newly weds. We had no kids yet, none on the way and I was working full time. I remember thinking and probably saying out loud “I could NEVER (with a capital N) stay at home with kids. I would be so BORED”. Well I should know better because several years prior I said “I would never date someone I work with”. Guess where Jay and I met? At work. Not the normal work scenario but I think God has a sense of humor and both of these circumstances make me smile.
H1 was born when I was in school so I consider that working full time (kind of) and then I worked part time when he turned 2 until 3. Then H1 was born and I stayed home with no side work her first year and recently went back to work 8 hours a week. I love my job and am super thankful that there are part time opportunities without compromising my position. But I still consider myself a SAHM because well frankly I am mostly at home.


I know SAH is not for everyone and I know full time work is not for everyone and I think we should not judge what mamas choose because its such a personal and complex decision. It tends to make moms feel guilty no matter what they choose. Embrace your choice and if you’re not happy or your family life is suffering try a little change if you can and you may be surprised at the relief. In a few years I’ll probably be writing a “Top 5 things I love about working full time J

No comments:

Post a Comment