Image Map

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Years Goals

Every year for, well I'd have to look back at my journals but I'd guess 10 years at least I make a list of new years "goals". I am very set on them being goals with the knowledge that they may or may not get accomplished but I would like to have some sort of direction for the year. As the years have gone on I think this helps give me a direction in life. Also, if I have not already shared this tidbit about myself I am a serial journaler and love reminiscing and looking back on the past and analyzing it for the good, bad and in between.

In 2014 my goals were as follows (in this order): have a healthy pregnancy & baby (my side note states this more of a prayer than goal, as I believe, the control in this situation is not entirely of your own [not the trying part but the actually getting and maintaining part, as I learned in 2013]), learn to drive stick shift (Nope, did not happen), show my hubby more love (probably dependent on the day), go West for a trip (check, went to Seattle in the spring), make more recipe cards (barely did even a few), decorate living room (yes ma'am, even did a gallery wall), enjoy my sweet (and wild) child more, and send more letters, read 10 books, waste less money, start 529 fund for Hpants.
See...

My goals for 2015 were quite a bit fewer and well... you judge for yourself:
Give more positive feedback to people
Devotions
Don't take myself so seriously
Move back to TN (If you spoke to me at all in late 2014 or early 2015 you know I was serious about this one)
and one last one that said something similar to #1
I was in a rough place when these were written. Some where between the arctic,a degree of postpartum something or another and moving hell.

I guess my point is I don't think resolutions is the right term for what to expect of yourself when a day makes the last digit change in the year. Change takes time and its not an over night process for most of us. I think it is great to evaluate your past year and think "self, what can I do to make this year a little better, for myself and/or others?" (depending on your current life circumstance). Go from there, maybe you jot down 1 or 27 points as goals. I think writing them down somewhere helps me because I can go back and look as the year goes on and think "Now what did I want to do this year?" or I can go back 4 years later and say "What the heck, why have I not done that yet? Better get started now."

So Cheers to you and 2016 and I gotta go learn to drive my hubby's car!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment