Image Map

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Family. Holidays. Food. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Excitement.
Fast forward 20 years and I get a bit bummed about the holidays.

Holidays. Overbooked. Shopping. Excitement. Stress. Confusion. Family.

I never had what you would call a "big family" get together in my youth.
My dad is one of 5, my mom is one of 3, so you would think there is potential for large family get-togethers but I only have 4 cousins and 2 of the 4 live in FL and the 2 in ohio are both dudes and not my age or not around much. So, thanksgiving was my brothers and I (and a lot of "old people" [my younger self talking here], oh yay, just like any other day just with more food.

My grandparents homes are than 2 miles apart so for Thanksgiving we would usually go to both grandparents or an Aunt and grandparents home.

Now looking back I don't quite get why we didn't just all get together for one big get-together, which still wouldn't have been "that big", maybe 15 people.  I guess the most likely reason is no one has a large enough dining room? Half of us would eat in the living room at each home because they both have pretty tiny dining rooms/ eat-in kitchens. Or maybe no one thought of that? Who knows...

I just always longed for a big family holiday get-together. I am so thankful now that I married a man with a large extended family (bonus!), makes for super fun holidays and lots of people and yummy food....

But makes me a little bummed for my own family as it has become even more fragmented than it used to be with my parents eating with only my brother and sister in-law and my Grandma Stout living in a nursing home and my other grandmother eating with my Aunt.

I hope my kids, as they don't have any cousins here in OH at this point don't have the same hum ho attitude about Thanksgiving. We will continue to see & enjoy the BIG Sizemore side of the family for the larger holiday get togethers & enjoy a little more laid back version on the holidays at the Stouts. I feel like this post is a bit of a bummer but I think its important to realize that not everyone has big FUN family hooplas that they look forward to each November or December. If you have a friend that seems a little "eh.." about the holidays invite them to yours! We LOVED having friends over in TN for some of our holidays meals!

I am thankful for the family I have and the health we have and don't mean to downplay our blessings.
As I talked with one of Holden's teachers this morning she said "oh we only have 7 families coming for Thanksgiving this year, normally its 12 or so". I just think thats so awesome! Families near and far coming together, cousins exchanging stories and recipes from the year. It only happens 3-4 times a year y'all, embrace it! & don't take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment